Today was a hard day…
– Students forgetting how to get along when one is annoying the other
– My students and I are adjusting to having no help in the classroom when there’s 10-12 special ed. students and only one me
– Learning that one student’s mother is being abused by a boyfriend but mom refuses to leave
– Students who want to know “Why can’t we just take a day off?” even though he hasn’t seen me in two weeks because of class swimming lessons
– Another student is being bullied and harassed by his best friend. He’s devastated because he lost his best friend.
– At the end of the day, this same student came to me in tears because he walked away from a fight, and was getting teased again.
How do we as teacher prioritize our students’ needs? My students need love, a friend, instruction, and structure and boundaries. I know it’s possible to provide all of this, but it’s sure overwhelming and some days seems impossible- especially when on days like today, instruction falls to the bottom of the list, even though that’s what I’m getting paid to provide.